Week 11 (technically 13)
April 4, 2010
Happy Easter my friends. Whether you celebrated or relaxed today, I hope you all enjoyed this spring day! My friends, it is time, the time I have eagerly been waiting for…SPRING CLEANING!! Don’t worry, while I am uber excited about this, I am not going to go crazy in the first week. We have a big project this week, but trust me, you will feel AMAZING when it is done.
Your mission should you choose to accept it (which I expect you to accept!!) is……CLEAN YOUR CLOSET!!
I am not just talking about straightening out, I mean an all out clean-fest! Here is what I want you to do.
1. Take a good look at your closet. Is it organized in a way that is useful to you? Do you spend time every morning searching through it for something to wear but cannot find anything? Do you realize you have items in your closet that you never use and realize may never come back in style? First item of business is to take a quick inventory before the cleaning begins.
2. Create three sections. To begin cleaning, I need your to create three areas for sorting: 1. A KEEP IT section. These are the items you cannot part with and that you must have. 2. A KISS IT goodbye pile. As difficult as this may be, I would like you part with the things that are just taking up space in your closet. I want you to go through clothes, accessories, bags, shoes, etc. I guarantee there are plenty of things that you may want to KISS goodbye. 3. KINDNESS to others. I have no doubt that you have some great items in your closet that you just don’t wear or use anymore. You know it is time to part with them, but the items are too good to go in the KISS IT pile. This is where the KINDNESS pile comes in handy. There are so many people in this world, especially in this financially difficult time, who could use some of the things we no longer need. I want you to put at least 5 items in your KINDNESS pile…..honestly, I would love for you to do 10, but I think 5 is a good starting point.
3. Commence CLEANING!! Using your 3 piles; KEEP IT, KISS IT, and KINDNESS begin cleaning out your closet.
**Be forewarned, this could take awhile. I want you to really think about the items you need and the ones you can part with. This is amazing way to welcome in a new season. A fresh start!!!!
4. Once you have created your three piles, make sure to look up a local charity in the area where you can take your KINDNESS pile. Look back to the websites I provided you with two weeks ago for some inspiration.
5. Reorganization. Having a clean closet can really be an OM experience. I may take my closet organizing to a level above most people, but the most important thing to do is find a system that works for YOU. Here are some of my favorite closet organizing tips that I want to pass on to you.
* Organize by style and color – Some people choose one or the other, but I organize my closet by both. I will post pictures when I finish my organizing, but you will see that my hanging clothes begin with my short sleeved items by color (beginning with white/cream and then proceeding with the colors in order of the rainbow ending with gray, brown, and then black)….Trust me, I know I may sound super OCD, but I find it helpful. All I ask is that you don’t judge until your try it! After my short-sleeved items come my short-sleeved turtle necks, them my long-sleeved items (You will see I own more cardigans than anyone should……I can’t help it, I LOVE me a cardi!!). After my long-sleeved items, I have my long-sleeved turtle neck items, and then my collared shirts. On my shelves I have my t-shirts, workout items, sweats, shorts, dress pants, etc. Again these are organized by color.
* Keep the items you use most often at eye level so they are easily accessible.
* I read about a trick to use to make sure you are wearing the items in your closet. Normally, when we hang up our clothes, the hanger hook faces the back of the closet (makes sense since that it is the easy way to hang it). When you go to reorganize your closet, I want you to hang everything backwards so the hanger hook faces you. Yes, it may initially be awkward to hang, but as soon as you wear that item, you can hang it back up the “correct” way. At the end of 6 months or a particular weather season, I want you to look at the closet and see which items you have worn and the ones that are still hanging backwards in your closet…..can you KISS IT or put it in the KINDNESS pile?
Whew!! I know I have given you a hefty task for the week, but TRUST ME, it will feel so good when you finish! I will touch base with you all soon!! Happy organizing!!